[Unbound-users] Does unbound support multiple questions in one query?

Stephane Bortzmeyer bortzmeyer at nic.fr
Mon Sep 21 08:37:10 UTC 2009

On Mon, Sep 21, 2009 at 04:18:38PM +0800,
 Tao Ma <matao_reg at yahoo.com.cn> wrote
 a message of 109 lines which said:

> I sent a query that includes 2 questions to unbound and received a
> "format error" response,dose unbount support this?

No name server I know support multiple questions. They are
theorically possible but creating an answer is often impossible (there
is only one RCODE in the answer, for instance, while the two questions
may yield different results, for instance NOERROR and NXDOMAIN).

There is, from time to time, at the IETF, attempt to standardize a
working subset of "multiple questions queries" (for instance by
requiring that the two QNAMEs are identical) but no result yet.