[Unbound-users] stub vs. forward vs. redirect

Tony Finch dot at dotat.at
Thu Sep 17 10:55:30 UTC 2009

On Thu, 17 Sep 2009, W.C.A. Wijngaards wrote:

> As stub zones.  Possibly set
> local-zone: "16.172.in-addr.arpa" nodefault
> so that unbound does not provide default blocking for the zone.

Thanks for the tip.

> If you made them forward-zones, it would likely work as well, but if
> there are CNAMEs then you probably want unbound to process the cname
> chain chasing, as the other server is authoritative for these zones.

Do I have to put something in the configuration file to make that happen?

> A redirect would work if you want to block access to those zones, and
> return an answer to some 'redirect notify' page in all cases.

Hmm. I still have very little idea about what redirect is supposed to do,
and what is the difference between forward and stub zones. I have similar
problems with bind :-) Is there some documentation that I have failed to
find?

I've been setting up some test zones to see what the differences in
behaviour are. No results yet, though.

Tony.
GERMAN BIGHT HUMBER: SOUTHWEST 5 TO 7. MODERATE OR ROUGH. SQUALLY SHOWERS.
MODERATE OR GOOD.