[Unbound-users] Querying all of stub-zone nameservers or trasparent stub-zone

Andrian Nord nightnord at gmail.com
Sat Nov 7 11:55:17 UTC 2009

Greetings

I'm using unbound for my local home network. Problem is in that I'm
using virtual servers for various tasks on my server, so I have big
enough zones to think about reducing mantaince work.

Currently i'm using two NSDs - one for 'public' zone data, which
contains all AAAA and public A records, and one for 'private' zone data,
that is - for ips like 192.168.*. (Yes, I'm trying to do so-called
'split-horizon')

Problem is, that for every new record, even SRV or CNAME, I'm forced to
add them to both servers and, what is much worse, I'm forced to
dublicate all AAAA records, as unbound queries only one server specified
for stub-zone and returns what it returns =).

So, here comes my question - is it somehow possible to make unbound
query all specified nameservers in specified order, accumulating result,
but keeping first positive answer, if another is given (maybe through
some additional script or module)? Or, maybe, there could be
'transparent' stub-zone, like local-zones (same idea) (that seems to how
dnsmasq operates)?

Thanks.