[Unbound-users] 2 config files?!

Rob Gallagher robert.gallagher at heanet.ie
Wed May 20 10:08:24 UTC 2009

Hi Gabriel,

On Mon, 18 May 2009 10:05:50 +0300
Gabriel Petrescu <gabrielescu at gmail.com> wrote:

> locate unbound.conf
> /etc/unbound/unbound.conf
> /usr/share/man/man5/unbound.conf.5.gz
> /var/lib/dpkg/info/unbound.conffiles
> unbound.conf
>

> som, there are 2 unbound.conf files.
>
> which one is used?
> from my point of view it's not ok. it's easy to make a mistake and
> edit the wrong file...

The startup script for the unbound ubuntu package puts unbound into a
chroot by default (/var/lib/unbound). Upon restart, it copies
everything from /etc/unbound into /var/lib/unbound/etc/unbound, hence
the multiple config files.

It is a pretty strange way to do things, and also breaks
unbound-control into the bargain! I had a bit of a "WTF" moment when I
discovered this behaviour.

rg

--
Rob Gallagher | Public Key: 0x1DD13A78

HEAnet Limited, Ireland's Education and Research Network
1st Floor, 5 George's Dock, IFSC, Dublin 1.
Registered in Ireland, no 275301
T: (+353-1) 6609040  F: (+353-1) 6603666 WWW: http://www.heanet.ie/