[Unbound-users] Can't get CNAME entries to resolve

M. David Peterson m.david at 3rdandurban.com
Tue Mar 3 02:36:16 UTC 2009

Hello,
I've been playing around with Unbound and thus far have been /very/
impressed with its performance.  In fact, the only thing currently
preventing me switching our primary and secondary DNS from BIND to Unbound
is the fact that I can't seem to figure out how to get CNAME resolution to
work properly.  The documentation makes reference to using a stub-zone to
gain CNAME support, but it's not obvious what that means exactly. I've
played around with different stub-zone configurations but as of yet haven't
found that seems to work correctly.

The only example I've found that highlights a CNAME entry as part of the
Unbound config file is located at >
http://www.howtoforge.com/installing-using-unbound-nameserver-on-debian-etch <
Unfortunately the provided example -- a sample of which is provided inline
below -- doesn't work.  Can someone steer me in the right direction as far
as how to go about referencing both an internal and external CNAME alias
which Unbound will then resolve when requests for the configured sub-domain
are made?

Thanks in advance for your help!

local-zone: "example.net." static
        local-data: "example.net. 86400 IN NS ns1.hostingcompany.com."
        local-data: "example.net. 86400 IN NS ns2.hostingcompany.com."
        local-data: "example.net. 86400 IN SOA ns1.hostingcompany.com.
hostmaster.hostingcompany.com. 2008052201 28800 7200 604800 86400"
        local-data: "example.net. 86400 IN A 1.2.3.4"
        local-data: "www.example.net. 86400 IN CNAME example.net."
        local-data: "mail.example.net. 86400 IN A 1.2.3.4"
        local-data: "example.net. 86400 IN MX 10 mail.example.net."
        local-data: "example.net. 86400 IN TXT v=spf1 a mx ~all"

--
/M:D

M. David Peterson
Co-Founder & Chief Architect, 3rd&Urban, LLC
Email: m.david at 3rdandUrban.com | m.david at amp.fm
Mobile: (206) 999-0588
http://3rdandUrban.com | http://amp.fm |
http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/au/2354 |