[Unbound-users] unbound vs nsd

Farkas Levente lfarkas at bppiac.hu
Wed May 21 14:42:57 UTC 2008

Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:
> On Wed, May 21, 2008 at 03:27:22PM +0200,
>  Farkas Levente <lfarkas at bppiac.hu> wrote
>  a message of 19 lines which said:
>
>> nlnetlabs develop nsd and unbound too. why?
>
> Because one is authoritative-only and the other recursive-only.
>
>> - why not merge the two project?
>
> That would be fun since most BIND users request a separation between
> the two functions :-)

ok i didn't look into the code so i don't know (just ask the authors),
but for me it seems there are many overlapping code in these projects
(dnssec, resolver, lookup etc). now it seems there are 3 separate
project nsd, unbound and ldns which have many common part (eg: drill,
unbound-host) and still have different source. at least a common lib
makes me happy:-)
just a very quick look:
http://www.nlnetlabs.nl/nsd/svn/trunk/compat/malloc.c
http://www.nlnetlabs.nl/ldns/svn/trunk/compat/malloc.c
http://unbound.nlnetlabs.nl/svn/trunk/compat/malloc.c

ps. just a small note as i already ask it
http://www.nlnetlabs.nl/pipermail/nsd-users/2006-November/000593.html
none of them has dynamic update:-(