[Unbound-users] some performance tests

Wed Jun 4 07:13:01 UTC 2008

Hi Mauro,

These numbers are very low, both unbound and bind. I often see more than
1000 qps on very low hardware. With 1000 queries in total maybe you are
testing something else, maybe the speed of the ISP in italy?

unbound comes with a 'perf' tool (make perf), it cannot limit itself to
1000 queries, but to a number of seconds. You would be considered a
flooding maniac during those seconds. It has very few options.

I think the 1000 queries limit is somehow changing the result. With you
sending 1000 queries fairly quickly, then getting a large roundtrip time
or something, and the result dominated by that roundtrip time?

On the other hand, maybe the ISP DNS server really is that slow, and
these rates are 'normal' for your setup.  In that case I would suggest
to make it more realistic, so that the numbers are more like reality.

You could run your own bind/unbound/... server as forward server, so you
can send as many queries to it as you like.  An not bother the italian ISP.

Best regards,
~   Wouter

Mauro Rappa wrote:
| Hi all,
| i like to make test to try new product, so i did some tests WITHOUT
any goal to demonstate which software is better.
| i want compare Bind9 vs Unbound in cache-only deploy (i use it for
speedup antispam server).
| My server is:
|
| quad core Intel(R) Xeon(TM) CPU 3.40GHz
| 4Gb Ram
| LSI Logic 1020/1030 Ultra320 SCSI Adapter
| Debian Etch
| 30Mb full internet access (!)
|

| i setup only one forwarder (dns of biggest ISP in italy) and i used
dnsperf (the same used by ISC),