[RPKI] Accepting smaller routes than RPKI object allows (blackholing)

Stavros Konstantaras stavros.konstantaras at ams-ix.net
Thu Aug 29 12:21:21 UTC 2019

Based on the current standards and vendor implementations, I believe another potential solution to make this work is to use a separate routing instance (e.g a server running BIRD or other software), where customers can use it to send blackhole routes.

With BIRD running on a simple box, you could easily implement an import filter where a customer is allowed to advertise a /32 route that carries the BLACKHOLE community as well (and only that, nothing else). Then, with a little bit of python scripting you could either program your basic Juniper or Cisco router accordingly or trigger your purchased anti-DDoS service.

The positive on that workaround is that programmatically you are more flexible and perhaps apply some extra logic. The drawback is that customers need to maintain a second BGP session (plus your setup is highly more complicated).

Best regards,

Stavros Konstantaras | NOC Engineer | AMS-IX
M +31 (0) 620 89 51 04 | T +31 20 305 8999
ams-ix.net