[RPKI] RPKI on IOS-XR and VRF's

Jan Chrillesen jan at chrillesen.dk
Wed Apr 10 17:48:40 UTC 2019

I am trying to enable validation on IOS XR (NCS-5500 running 6.5.3) and
I'm facing two issues. The first one is that traffic is being sourced
from the outgoing interface, and it isn't possible to specify a source
interface (like a loopback interface). It's the same issue as described
here
https://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/2016-December/104236.html

The second one is the lack of documentation for using RPKI validation in
VRF's - is it even supported? I made the following config

router bgp xxxxx
 rpki server 212.x.y.z
  transport tcp port 3323
  refresh-time 600

 vrf internet
  [...]
  bgp bestpath origin-as use validity
  bgp bestpath origin-as allow invalid
  address-family ipv4 unicast
   [...]
   bgp origin-as validation signal ibgp

Connection to the validator (Routinator 3000 seems fine):

#sh bgp rpki summary
Wed Apr 10 19:39:46.294 CEST

RPKI cache-servers configured: 1
RPKI database
  Total IPv4 net/path: 64091/68179
  Total IPv6 net/path: 11324/12344

If I check the validity of a route received from a peer on the router I
get:

#sh bgp vrf internet x.y.0.0/19
[...]
      Origin-AS validity: (disabled)

I would expect the validity to be valid, invalid or not found

Also updated the ingress route-map of the peer to check for
validation-state but I would expect that the route should have a
validity even if I don't do anything with it in the route map

Found this old post
https://community.cisco.com/t5/routing/rpki-validation-for-neighbors-in-vrfs/td-p/2724218
but it didn't provide any hints to wheter validation is even supported
in VRF's on XR

(To those who might suggest I run my peers in GRT - it's not currently
an option)

- Jan