[nsd-users] query: bad tsig signature for key

n5d9xq3ti233xiyif2vp at pm.me n5d9xq3ti233xiyif2vp at pm.me
Fri May 17 15:34:45 UTC 2024

It wasn't time sync.

In the end I discovered that there is apparently such a thing as a minimum tsig key length ?

My original key was generated using "openssl rand -base64 32".

I generated a new key with pdnsutil from PowerDNS instead (pdnsutil generate-tsig-key mykey hmac-sha256) and everything started working.  The output from pdnsutil was longer, I didn't check the size, but it was visibly longer than the openssl output.