[nsd-users] Run-time effects of new SIMD code

Jeroen Koekkoek jeroen at nlnetlabs.nl
Fri Jul 19 11:44:59 UTC 2024

Hi Anand,

The build host doesn't need to have the same features as the target.
However, the compiler running on the build host must know how to
compile for SSE4.2 and AVX2 architectures. For example, you can compile
for x86_64 on ARM (and vice versa). It works in the same way for
extensions.

So, if you use an older compiler that is does not know how to output
code for SIMD instructions, you can't generate a binary that has those.
But it really comes down to the compiler not the build host
architecture. At least, in theory.

I think that answer your question? Let me know if want to discuss in
more detail.

Best regards,
Jeroen