[nsd-users] NSD 4.7.0rc1 pre-release

Florian Obser florian at openbsd.org
Thu Jun 1 08:07:56 UTC 2023

Hi,

this might be a case of "I broke it, I get to keep both pieces."

Commit 36ae6811f8633c7df32fff40a15e4b05b328c8a9 [1] adds a built
dependency on compat/cpuset.h to every .o file, even if that is not
needed on the OS one tries to build.

In OpenBSD we do not carry the compat/ folder at all because we don't
want to accidentally pick up alternative implementations over our own
libc. Having a dependency on compat/cpuset.h breaks the build thusly:

make: don't know how to make /usr/src/usr.sbin/nsd/compat/cpuset.h (prerequisite of: answer.o)

HAVE_CPUSET_T guards the cpu affinity feature in nsd.c, server.c and
util.c just fine. So if the OS does not support cpu affinity
compat/cpuset.h is not needed at all.

Was that "make depend" change intentional or was that picked up because
make depend was run on a system with cpu affinity and then committed?

I'm fine with an answer along the lines of "this is OpenBSD's
problem". I just want to make sure.

Thanks,
Florian

[1] https://github.com/NLnetLabs/nsd/commit/36ae6811f8633c7df32fff40a15e4b05b328c8a9

--
In my defence, I have been left unsupervised.