[nsd-users] rewrite manpages to mdoc(7)

Jeroen Koekkoek jeroen at nlnetlabs.nl
Mon Jan 2 18:37:02 UTC 2023

Hi Jan,

Was typing this on GitHub, but this is fine too :)

It's really very nice of you that you want to do some of the work!

There's other angles to consider here too though. mdoc does not
automatically improve all things and that we can easily include the man
page from the online documentation is very compelling to us. Your
message simply brought that subject up too.

I can see why you want to have good manpages and maybe rst2man is not
ideal for that(?) I wouldn't know personally, but I can see that having
a dependency on Python is not ideal for all builds.

So, I was thinking, why not man2rst (other way around). I found this
article which uses mandoc to convert man pages written in mdoc to rst
(https://undeadly.org/cgi?action=article&sid=20170304230520).

I have to test it to see if it's viable. The added benefit would be
that we have "proper" or "plain" man pages for the basic builds and
have a dependency on Python, Sphinx, etc only for developers and online
documentation builds.

If my suggestions work, personally, I'd be more than happy to take you
up on your offer :)

Of course, this too is subject to discussion, it's merely an idea for
now, but I'll run some tests.

Thanks!

- Jeroen