[nsd-users] nsd server OS hang

Franky Van Liedekerke liedekef at telenet.be
Fri Sep 16 08:34:39 UTC 2022

Hi,

I seem to have an issue with one nameserver (the one running nsd 4.6.0,
but it also happened with the nsd package that came with ubuntu
itself):

on a regular basis the server just hangs. No coredumps (the server is
configured to coredump), nothing in nsd logs, nothing in syslog except
always the same final message that happens to arrive on the central
logserver just before the OS hang:
"TCP: request_sock_TCP: Possible SYN flooding on port 53. Sending
cookies."

After that message, it's game over for that server: not even the
console is responsive anymore. It's a vm, so we see the cpu spiking in
the vm stats on the host so I'm assuming something is taking up all cpu
causing a huge load, but I'm unable to pinpoint it since ... it hangs
:-) . Other dns servers (running bind) with the same kernel parameters
for flooding (burst), don't show the message (so maybe just 1 server is
being targetted, but it still shouldn't crash like that).
Any hints on how to debug this? If somone might think it is related to
nsd, this is the compile line:
./configure --prefix=/usr --with-configdir=/etc/nsd --with-
nsd_conf_file=/etc/nsd/nsd.conf --with-pidfile=/run/nsd/nsd.pid --with-
dbfile=/var/lib/nsd/nsd.db --with-zonesdir=/etc/nsd --with-
xfrdfile=/var/lib/nsd/xfrd.state --disable-largefile --disable-recvmmsg
--enable-root-server --enable-mmap --enable-ratelimit --enable-checking
--enable-dnstap --enable-systemd

(I see there's an option for tcp_fastopen but not used by the person
that compiled it and I can't really explain the reason on -disable-
largefile --disable-recvmmsg, but those two shouldn't have any impact)
The server-count=2 (server having 2 vcpu's), no mem issues seen. Server
is serving (as secondary) more than 7000 zones (so many xfr requests,
but currently we left the xfr-reload-timeout at 1 second).

With friendly regards,
Franky