[nsd-users] NSD serves old serial after restart

Klaus Darilion klaus.darilion at nic.at
Thu Aug 18 07:12:21 UTC 2022

Hi Jamie!

Yes. Consider a very huge zone which gets updated with IXFR every few seconds. That would be heavy to write the zone to disk after every update.

> Is there any reason why updates aren't
> written as soon as the file they are replacing is older than 1 hour?

AFAIK this is actually the case, when default zonefile-write=1h

In my opinion, it would be useful to have a zonefile-write-onshutdown=true option to force a "write" when the daemon is shut down. I think this is what Bind9 for example does.

regards
Klaus