[nsd-users] Split DNS to Resolve Servers Internally

Anand Buddhdev anandb at ripe.net
Tue Jun 15 19:07:31 UTC 2021

On 10/06/2021 13:18, Mukul Shukla via nsd-users wrote:

Hi Mukul,

> I am in the process of installing Authoritative DNS servers using NSD.
> Feels a bit confident now. As I am running Djbdns at present, it has the
> ability to resolve names based upon the machines, if they are accessed from
> outside the network or inside the network with a single installation.

This concept is called "split DNS".

[snip]

> And yes, I want to achieve this with NSD, so I think this query is
> appropriate for this mailing list. People are free to give outside the
> scope of this software though.

NSD does not have any ability to do split DNS. You have to run multiple
instances of it (whether on separate servers, or on separate instances
of one server).

BIND has this feature, and it's called "views". A single instance of
BIND can provide answers from different copies of a zone based on the
client's address.

Knot DNS has a limited variant of this feature, called "dnsproxy".

Regards,
Anand