[nsd-users] How to implement SPF, DKIM and DMARC records in NSD

Anand Buddhdev anandb at ripe.net
Mon Jun 7 10:24:12 UTC 2021

On 07/06/2021 12:08, Mukul Shukla wrote:

Hi Mukul,

> I want to know, where can I  read about how to add SPF, DKIM and DMARC
> records in NSD.
> Can somebody point me to a tutorial/writeup?

I think you're missing some basic DNS knowledge here. DNS records are
added to a plain text file called a zone file. You can read more about
zone files here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zone_file

You then configure your DNS server (NSD, Knot DNS, BIND, etc) to load
this zone file, and serve up DNS responses to queries.

Your confusion stems from the fact that tinydns does NOT use a regular
zone file. It is unusual in that respect. So before moving away from
tinydns to a regular DNS server that just uses zone files, you'll need
to understand the zone file format, and also convert your existing data
data from the CDB format used by tinydns to a regular zone file. You can
either do that by hand (if your zone is small), or by launching
"axfrdns" and performing a zone transfer out of it.

Regards,
Anand