[nsd-users] Building Up DNS server with NSD; Migration

Mukul Shukla mukulmanet at gmail.com
Mon Jun 7 06:31:41 UTC 2021

Dear All,

It is good you shared some detail.
- I did this because I wanted to be specific in what I expect from
migration to NSD (or any other DNS server for that matter).

DNS has good ways of implementing redundancies and achieving high
availability.
- What are those like?

You can set up new separate servers and test their functionality thoroughly
[like Kaulkwappe described], even before telling any outsider about them.
- I have already setup the new separate servers. But that is exactly the
problem. I want to decide as to whether NSD will serve my needs for a long
run?  Is there any other DNS software which is more suitable for us?

I'm just afraid getting the necessary public IP (IPv4) addresses might be
an issue for you - if your organisation really only has 16  --  [1]
- We will work to get an alternate ISP connection with 8 more Public IPs
with it.

One of the important ways towards high availability is to *not* put all the
authoritative name servers in the same place (ie all eggs in the same
basket).
This seems to be the case currently [2].
More elaborate advice is in RFC2182 -- [3].
- Yes, this is the problem with our setup currently. As mentioned above, we
will get an alternate Internet connection with a different ISP so that we
have 8 more Public IPs on the different subnet.

It looks like all current authoritative servers are in direct sequential IP
addresses and one could guess that probably the outage of one router could
cause all of them to become unreachable.
- Yes, that is the case right now. We will sort it out.
- Meantime, we can continue with whatever we have, with high risk of course.

I'd try to get a friendly organisation or your upstream provider to provide
secondary name service for your domain(s). with automatic updates of zone
data / changes from you to that server.
- With more Public IP on a different subnet, I think the above will get
sorted out.

This is of course not what you were asking (how to run *your* servers),
- Obviously not. I said we are running the setup, with all the above
constraints, for past 10 years. Yes there are problems, not that something
serious has happened. We are not running mission critical server back
there. A small amount to downtime is acceptable.

but valid consideration for the person/team responsible for the overall
availability of the domain in DNS.
- Did not get what does that mean. I am only looking for how NSD, and will
it help me, if I replace djbdns with NSD?

But since this is the mailing list for NSD, I should mention that another
mailing list:
would be more appropriate for the general DNS questions.
- I want to more of NSD and hence have posted here. But since NSD is a DNS
software, some relevance of DNS and other similar soft wares are bound to
come. Moreover, the general questions will disappear, once I come to know
more about NSD. As I mentioned before, there is no concise manual for
beginners, I have to join the mailing list and post the questions. For the
other softwares, eg. djbdn, I learnt that without even knowing a mailing
list for it exists.

I will be posting some direct questions to know more about NSD and it's
features. By knowing that I want to get a feel as to whether I will be able
to successfully  migrate my DNS  setup to NSD.

Thanks a lot for the reply.

Mukul