[nsd-users] (no subject)

Kaulkwappe kaulkwappe at prvy.eu
Mon Jun 7 00:43:23 UTC 2021

Dear Anand,

unfortunately I cannot agree. I had multiple problems with PowerDNS, while I had not a single problem with NSD. It only required a small amount of time for me to setup two servers which are already running fine for years and it serves a lot (not tons of, but a lot) of zones. I even created an own API and I still plan to release it under the same license as NSD when I am happy with it.

NSD in my opinion is very different from PowerDNS. Its design is consistent and logical. This, in my opinion does not apply to PowerDNS. What I encountered was:

a) PowerDNS refused to offer a TLS protected API. First it sounded like a bad joke for me, but they are serious: "Indeed. We are not doing this. Closing ticket, sorry!" (Add SSL support to the API #6521). This alone makes PowerDNS useless for me. TLS is a common standard and their is no room to argue that.
b) They refused to fix bugs, if you are not providing **absolutely unredacted** logs, even and especially for cases, where the sensitive data is obviously not required at all. No unredacted logs? No bug.
c) Design problems where it seems they moved program logic into the database. Even if it uses a relational database such like MySQL, for a DNS server, it is (in my opion) absolutey not the databases responsibilty to prevent duplicate entries. The DNS server itself needs to prevent that. It is simply a sensitive piece of software.

Thus, if you say my statement is not true, that may be true for hosters which handled these problems *or* just do not care about these problems. About missing TLS, about misleading error logs, about authoritative developers which refuse to fix bugs which are evident. But from my perspective, this is not a project I would ever use in a setup where I am required to rely on a consistent and logical build software. NSD met these requirements easily and the developers were never unhelpful or authoritative.

Still my opinion of course, but these are reasons which lead to my decision to not use it and especially never recommend it over NSD.

--Kaulkwappe