[nsd-users] Help to setup Authoritative Name Server with NSD

Mukul Shukla mukulmanet at gmail.com
Sun Jun 6 10:33:51 UTC 2021

 Dear All,

I am working as a Professor in a University in India. For our University, I
want to set up an Authoritative Name Server. Currently we are running
djbdns, since long.
Although djbdns is a wonderful DNS server, the maintenance of it has become
very troublesome. It also lacks many new security features. BIND9, I am not
convinced if it will be useful in our case. Its a huge piece of software,
and we don't need all the features of it.

I was thinking of running my Authoritative Name Servers, Primary and
Secondary on NSD, as we are already using Unbound for recursive name
resolution.

I would like to get the comments from the users as to whether my decision
is correct or not? I have found that very few tutorials/manuals/articles
are available for the NSD setup . Being new to NSD, I feel hesitant in
replacing it by running DNS server with NSD. Would like to have some
suggestions and comments. Kindly suggest any other alternatives, if that is
useful in my case.

Thank you.

Mukul Shukla
Prof. (IT)