[nsd-users] nsd-control stop in FreeBSD vs. Debian

Anand Buddhdev anandb at ripe.net
Fri Feb 12 19:26:33 UTC 2021

On 12/02/2021 19:14, Fong via nsd-users wrote:

Hi Fong,

[snip]

> On Debian I do notice that issuing an 'nsd-control stop' does generate a
> new PID in /var/run/nsd/nsd.pid.
>
> The only way I can actually stop the NSD daemon seems to be with the
> service or systemctl commands.

That is the only way you should be stopping and starting NSD.

> Is it just in Debian's nature of how it handles services differently,
> that it will always respawn the process(es)/daemon automatically?

Debian (and most Linux systems nowadays) run all their processes under
systemd, which supervises them, and ensures that they are restarted in
case they die. If you run "nsd-control stop" then NSD exits without the
knowledge of systemd, and it thinks the daemon crashed, so it restarts it.

Anand