[nsd-users] NSD still shows permission errors on Debian 10 Buster

Paul Wouters paul at nohats.ca
Thu May 28 18:55:48 UTC 2020

On Thu, 28 May 2020, Wouter Wijngaards via nsd-users wrote:

>> I have a suggestion. Maybe just delete this nsd.service file.

> Thank you for the suggestion.  Removed it.  Complicated and not useful
> is not what I want for a contrib file, instead I would want files in
> contrib to be helpful and add to make use of NSD in different
> environments easier.

It is also completely different from the one used in fedora or epel/centos.

> Yes the removal of IPv6 also seems counterproductive to me.

This all came in via 70346a384 by you as part of the --enable-systemd
patch. It also includes the "socket activation" stuff, eg
contrib/nsd.socket that also makes absolutely no sense for a DNS server
daemon that is expected to always run anyway. And their default is
to activate it via queries received on 127.0.0.1.

Note for fedora/centos, I do not compile with --enable-systemd because
of these reasons, even though I would like to enable the systemd
watchdog part that is part of that feature. Perhaps the socket
activation and software watchdog parts can be split into two different
configure options? (--enable-sd-notify and --enable-sd-socket ?)

Paul