[nsd-users] logs

Simon Deziel simon at sdeziel.info
Thu Oct 24 18:42:00 UTC 2019

On 2019-10-24 2:26 p.m., Jeroen Koekkoek wrote:
> Hi José,
>
> On Thu, 2019-10-24 at 15:18 -0300, José Luis Artuch wrote:
>> Thanks Simon,
>>
>> I did everything again, but now running
>> sudo systemctl edit nsd
>> and saving
>> [Service]
>> ReadWritePaths=/var/log/nsd
>>
>> Then I have run
>> sudo systemctl daemon-reload
>> sudo systemctl restart nsd
>>
>> Since the change was not reflected in
>> /lib/systemd/system/nsd.service,
>> I restarted the system, but the change is still not reflected in
>> /lib/systemd/system/nsd.service and the log is not written.
>> What other change should I make ?
>
> The changes will not be reflected in /lib/systemd/system/nsd.service,
> instead a new file will be written in /etc/systemd/system/nsd.service
> which should reflect your changes(?).

This would have been with "systemctl edit --full nsd" (note the --full).
This is essentially forking the package provided version and shadowing
it for good. This, I believe, is also not desirable because you'd then
miss out on the future improvement by your package maintainer.

Using "systemctl edit nsd" instead will create
/etc/systemd/system/nsd.service.d/override.conf with *just* the local delta.

Simon