[nsd-users] tinydns to nsd

Andreas Schwarz andreas at black-code.de
Sat Dec 28 21:39:05 UTC 2019

On the "nsd-control addzone/delzone": it works a bit different from defining zones in your configuration, just as the error message says.

It is rather intended to be used with patterns. You configure a pattern in your configuration, then you tell nsd via nsd-control addzone to use a specific pattern for a specific zone. nsd keeps track of these assignments in a file usually in "/var/lib/nsd/zone.list" (configurable via "zonelistfile").

Zones can be added/removed pretty dynamically that way. What nsd does internally when receiving the addzone/delzone I haven't cared about so far.

On the config in general:
"server-count" should be set to the number of CPUs of the respective machine. And, if you have this set to more than 1 and run it on Linux, you might also want to consider setting "reuseport" to "yes". I have more experience with this option from a high performance unbound system, but activating this option helped improve performance by a margin of 30-40%. I think it has a similar impact on nsd when a high amount of requests has to be served.