[nsd-users] How to dynamically add and remove zones?

Anand Buddhdev anandb at ripe.net
Thu Jun 28 19:50:28 UTC 2018

On 28/06/2018 21:37, kaulkwappe at prvy.eu wrote:

Hi,

> May I ask another question? I want to have two or three nameservers, so one
> Master and one or two Slaves. There are some opportunities like AXFR but I'm
> afraid of loosing synchronicity. As I want all servers to provide the same data
> the same time what would be the best approach for doing this? Is it a good
> approach to directly transfer files automatically over SSH from the Master to
> the Slaves when there are changes or should I use AXFR?

You can set up your slaves in master mode. Then you can copy your zone
files from the master to the slaves using scp or rsync, and reload NSD
to make it re-read the updated zone files. However, this is more
cumbersome and increases the chance of failure.

AXFR is a perfectly fine mechanism to use for keeping slaves
synchronised with the master, and I recommend it. If you send NOTIFY
messages from the master to the slaves, then they should update almost
immediately after the master is updated.

Regards,
Anand