[nsd-users] NSD and DNSSEC signature refreshing and ZSK rotation

Michael A. Peters mpeters at domblogger.net
Thu Feb 15 17:23:02 UTC 2018

It takes time to replace the KSK and you have to know it was
compromised. ZSK is easy but ZSK should be 1024-bit to keep DNS
once a week (on Sunday) but I believe the recommended is once a month.

Having a separate signing machine is not required, but it is better
policy, nameservers have a history being exploitable (especially BIND)
and if your signing keys are in the wild, you are vulnerable until they
expire. Or rather, users trusting your DNS responses are vulnerable.

This is particularly dangerous if you use DANE to verify TLS
certificates for SMTP where certificate authorities are almost never
even checked by the connecting SMTP server.