[nsd-users] How to dynamically add and remove zones?

Anand Buddhdev anandb at ripe.net
Tue Aug 28 19:34:33 UTC 2018

On 28/08/2018 21:28, kaulkwappe at prvy.eu wrote:

Hey Kaulkwappe (is that your name?),

> When I use a slave server I wonder about something:
>
> Why do I need zone files when the data is stored into /var/lib/nsd/nsd.db and so
> the zone files remain empty?

On a slave server with all the zone data in nsd.db, there's no need for
plain text zone files.

However, the recommendation these days is to NOT use the database.
Instead, use this setting in your config file:

database: ""

This will write out the slave zones to disk in plain text. This mode
uses less memory, and is more robust. Support for the database mode may
disappear completely in a future release of NSD.

Regards,
Anand