[nsd-users] Does NSD delay re-opening of its log file?

W.C.A. Wijngaards wouter at nlnetlabs.nl
Mon Feb 20 08:06:43 UTC 2017

Hi Anand,

On 18/02/17 10:53, Anand Buddhdev wrote:
> I've observed something strange on some of our busy servers. Logrotate
> reports something like this:
>
> /etc/cron.daily/logrotate:
>
> gzip: stdin: file size changed while zipping
>
> So here's what logrotate does:
>
> 1. mv nsd.log nsd.log.old
>
> 2. runs "nsd-control log_reopen"
>
> 3. gzip nsd.log.old
>
> Occasionally, when performing step 3, gzip complains that the input file
> size changed, meaning that NSD was still writing to it.
>
> Is it possible that NSD delays re-opening of the log file?

It communicates the reopen internally over the pipes.  It could be race
condition, where the gzip starts before the reopen has finished.  sleep
1 or sleep 2 before calling gzip would solve that.

Or maybe make log_reopen wait until the reopen has finished, not sure
how to accomplish that...

Best regards, Wouter