[nsd-users] nsec3 hash collision

W.C.A. Wijngaards wouter at nlnetlabs.nl
Mon Feb 6 08:40:29 UTC 2017

Hi Fredrik,

Change the nsec3 salt at the zone signer for this zone.

The sender is sending queries for a nonexist name that hashes (exactly)
to the same hash as the hash for an existing name in the zone.  This is
what NSD logs.  With this printout you can figure out that the short
NSEC3-string for the query name, and the nsec3 string for one of the
names in your zone, have the same hash.

NSD has replied SERVFAIL to that client, since an NSEC3 nonexistance
proof is impossible.  So, no issues except the log file spam.

At what verbosity level should I log these messages, you would think?
Then I'll fix the code for that.

Best regards, Wouter