[nsd-users] Questions about nsd-control zonestatus

Anand Buddhdev anandb at ripe.net
Tue Dec 19 08:44:46 UTC 2017

On 19/12/2017 09:10, Klaus Darilion wrote:

Hi Klaus,

> Is it possible to detect refresh or axfr errors, e.g. the SOA
> refresh-query to the master failed or the SOA query suceeded but the XFR
> failed? I would like to detect errors before the status switches to expired.

What you're asking for is essentially the last log entry for this zone.
It might actually be a good idea, assuming NSD is keeping (or can keep)
that data in memory to be able to print out.

A small observation is that NSD doesn't do separate SOA queries before
an XFR. It immediately attempts an XFR over TCP. It looks at the first
packet for the SOA record, and if the serial number is the same, it
abandons the XFR. If the master's serial is higher is completes the XFR.

Regards,
Anand