[nsd-users] NSD 4.1.9 release

Anand Buddhdev anandb at ripe.net
Tue Mar 15 11:40:55 UTC 2016

Hi Wouter,

Thanks for this! We were affected by this issue as well, because some
of our servers were still using the DB mode.

However, I have changed our internal SPEC file to build NSD with:

- --with-dbfile=""

so that all our NSD instances will use plain text zone files by
default, and simply not use the DB mode.

FYI for all NSD users. Wouter added this "nodb" mode at our request,
and it works really well for us. An NSD server that has only slave
zones will XFR them all in at startup. Periodically (default every
1h), it will flush the zones to plain text files on disk, so that when
NSD is restarted, it can read the zones back in. If 1 hour seems too
long to wait before writing out changed zones to disk, one can adjust
the value in nsd.conf.

In the event of a restart with unflushed zones, NSD will just read an
older copy of the zone from disk, and then immediately XFR a new copy
in. If you wish, you can also run "nsd-control write" before
restarting NSD, so that it restarts with the freshest copy of zones.
In my opinion though, all this isn't really necessary, because
restarts are rare, and if the odd zone here or there hadn't been
flushed to disk, it will be updated to the latest copy within moments
of starting NSD.

I can highly recommend the "nodb" mode by setting "database:" to "" in
nsd.conf, or making this the default at compile time with the
configure option I mentioned above.

Regards,
Anand Buddhdev
RIPE NCC