[nsd-users] fix compat b64_{pton,ntop} handling in nsd

Stuart Henderson stu at spacehopper.org
Fri Sep 11 08:18:08 UTC 2015

On 2015/09/10 22:05, Ted Unangst wrote:
> Stuart Henderson wrote:
> > Currently NSD's compat functions for b64_pton and b64_ntop are always
> > used. Worse, they're the old versions which abort(). This is because
> > the library symbols are prefixed by __ (not just in OpenBSD) and are
> > only accessible as b64_xx when resolv.h is included.
> >
> > First attempt at fixing this involved borrowing tmux's autoconf checks
> > to find these functions. This works on OpenBSD, but fails on OS with
> > non-ancient resolv.h/nameser.h files which have #defines for T_xxx
> > resource records which conflict with those in NSD.
> >
> > So the diff below uses the __ versions directly (OpenSSH does similar).
> > I've tested this on OpenBSD and Linux (SL6), including with the autoconf
> > check artificially broken to force using the compat versions.
> > The autoconf check is borrowed/adapted from the tmux one.
> >
> > OK for OpenBSD?
> >
> > Would this be acceptable for NSD upstream?
>
> This seems suspicious. Where are the prototypes for these function coming
> from?

They're from the existing prototypes in nsd's configure.ac, the parameters
are the same size as the prototypes in resolv.h at least here and on Linux,
(written differently though, uint8_t / unsigned char).

These libc functions are a complete mess anyway, do you have any ideas
on how to do it better?