[nsd-users] NSD and OpenSSL

W.C.A. Wijngaards wouter at nlnetlabs.nl
Mon Aug 10 07:46:36 UTC 2015

Hoi Michael,

On 10/08/15 07:24, Michael A. Peters wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm currently busy rebuilding many of my server applications to
> use LibreSSL instead of OpenSSL.
>
> I noticed that NSD links against OpenSSL and I am curious as to if
> that is really necessary.

It can link against libressl if you want, and that works.  (You just
need to set it up that it does that, like switching to LibreSSL for
the FreeBSD system, or use the --with-ssl configure option).

> I am guessing some cryptographic functions are used when it pushed
> zone changes to slaves, but does it actually use a TLS connection?

The HMAC TSIG uses crypto, SHA1, SHA256, SHA512.  NSEC3 uses hashes.
The nsd-control functionality uses TLS.  These work with LibreSSL and
OpenSSL.

For DNSSEC algoritms, NSD does not need library support to serve the
correct DNSSEC signatures to clients.

Best regards,
   Wouter