[nsd-users] Initial request to server extremely slow after longer periods of inactivity

opendaddy at hushmail.com opendaddy at hushmail.com
Thu Apr 9 16:09:10 UTC 2015

Hi!

I'm running this Rails app on a DigitalOcean FreeBSD droplet. Lately I've been experiencing extremely slow initial requests after longer periods of inactivity. Subsequent requests are fine.

At first I thought it was my PostgreSQL database or the Rails app itself, but now I see SSH connections made simultaneously with those initial requests are equally slow.

Could NSD be the culprit? Or my friend's NS2?

# cat nsd.conf

server:
  ip4-only: yes
  hide-version: yes
  logfile: "/var/log/nsd.log"

zone:
  name: "mydomain.com"
  zonefile: "/usr/local/etc/nsd/mydomain.com"
  notify: $FRIENDS_IP NOKEY
  provide-xfr: $FRIENDS_IP NOKEY

# cat mydomain.com

$ORIGIN mydomain.com.