[nsd-users] "update failed (acquired: 1406646354), restarting transfer (notified zone)"

Michael Braunoeder mib at nic.at
Fri Sep 26 09:37:25 UTC 2014

Hi Stephane,

Am 30.07.2014 um 13:40 schrieb Stephane Bortzmeyer:
> A NSD 3.2.16, secondary for a large zone, suddenly stopped updating
> the zone:
>
> xfrd: zone foobar.example: soa serial 2222549638 update failed (acquired: 1406646354), restarting transfer (notified zone)
>
> Other (smaller) zones on the same machine are properly updated.
>
> Checking the source code (xfrd.c) does not give me many
> hints. "acquired" is the time where the SOA was acquired but it it not
> clear what is wrong exactly, and how to solve it. Did anyone see such
> behavior?

We see the same behavior (also with nsd 3.2.16). It run stable until we
started to make a lot of updates to the zone. 1 IXFR out of 4 fails and
the automatic restart of the transfer won't also work. It needs an extra
notify to trigger the transfer again (and then it works).

Did you discover anything? As you mentioned the source code does not
give many hints.

Best,
Michael