[nsd-users] memory leak in 4.0.x

Andreas Schulze sca at andreasschulze.de
Mon Feb 17 13:04:19 UTC 2014

Hello,

I found my two of my name servers are consuming more and more memory
over time.
NSD is supervised and started by "/usr/sbin/nsd -c
/var/lib/nsd/etc/nsd/nsd.conf -d"
I have remote-control and chroot enabled. The server handle only one zone.
Zone data updates are "pushed" by a bind master more then 1000 times
per day (it's a dnsbl zone)
There is also a rbldnsd on the same host but I assume it's unrelated
to the problem.

* nsd-4.0.0.png shows the problem on server #1
* nsd-4.0.1.png shows my tests on server #2:

In week 3,4 and 5 it was a nsd-4.0.0. A daily cronjob called "killall nsd".
(NSD is restarted by the supervisor every time)
In week 6 I updated to nsd-4.0.1 and stopped the daily "killall nsd"

I think there is a little amount of memory not released somewhere in NSD.
But I have no idea how to find the memory leak.

Andreas