[nsd-users] NSD compressing RP content

Matthijs Mekking matthijs at nlnetlabs.nl
Thu Mar 7 15:02:49 UTC 2013

Hi Peter,

On 03/07/2013 03:37 PM, Peter van Dijk wrote:
> Hello Matthijs,
>
> 3597 also deals with it by saying nsd MUST NOT compress these
> types.

You are absolutely right in that. And it's going to be fixed in the
next release (of course, that should have happened already around
September 2003. Better late than never).

> The harm is in NSD ignoring a MUST NOT, relying on recursors to
> implement a SHOULD. This should, of course, be the other way
> around.

I think it is a safe assumption, as pre-3597 recursors should have
done that, and after 3597 they still should do it ;-).

> Naturally, PowerDNS now honors the SHOULD, as interoperability is
> key.

Agreed. And that's why we will fix it in NSD too.

Best regards,
  Matthijs