[nsd-users] NSD SRV rr return limit

Bryan Duff bduff at ecessa.com
Tue May 15 22:44:27 UTC 2012

On 05/15/12 17:18, Will Pressly wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Is there a limit to the number of SRV records that NSD will return,
> outside of the upper bound on packet size? I have a name that has ~18
> SRV records, and I only see the same four, always. The packet size out
> on the wire is 260B, so I would expect we could cram some more in
> there, and I am not sure why we are only ever seeing the same five.
>
> I wanted to ask before burning time on a source-code code-dive. I am
> using nsd 3.2.5.
>
> Thanks,
> Will Pressly

Remember NSD doesn't rotate records in the same set (or in any case).
Also, you aren't going through a caching server are you?

$ dig @192.168.2.231 _autodiscover._tcp.example.org srv
;; QUESTION SECTION:
;_autodiscover._tcp.example.org.        IN      SRV

;; ANSWER SECTION:
_autodiscover._tcp.example.org. 30 IN   SRV     1 100 25 mail.example.org.
_autodiscover._tcp.example.org. 30 IN   SRV     2 100 25 mail.example.org.
_autodiscover._tcp.example.org. 30 IN   SRV     3 100 25 mail.example.org.
_autodiscover._tcp.example.org. 30 IN   SRV     4 100 25 mail.example.org.
_autodiscover._tcp.example.org. 30 IN   SRV     5 100 25 mail.example.org.

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
example.org.            360     IN      NS      ns1.example.org.
//end snip

That was just me quickly creating some entries on a test zone.  Often
caching servers limit the number of RR's to whatever they feel like (4
seems common).  That's just my experience.

-Bryan