[nsd-users] Suitability of NSD for ENUM

Matthijs Mekking matthijs at nlnetlabs.nl
Mon Apr 16 08:25:28 UTC 2012

Hi,

On 04/16/2012 09:46 AM, Rick van Rein wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm rolling out a registrar service for ENUM and wondering if NSD
> is suitable for its special format -- rather long lists of labels
> in a zone name and potentially a lot of small domains.  Scaling is
> what I'm wondering about.

Although it can serve a reasonable number of zones, NSD3 has turned
out to be not that good in scaling when it comes to a large number of
zones. This will be tackled in NSD4. How many zones are we talking about?

> Did I understand correctly that the search for an RRset is done on
> the entire label list (or name) requested?  So the special format
> of names in ENUM is not special in any way?

The domain name table is stored as a red black tree. Each domain name
is treated equally, when it comes to searching (it is just another
node in the tree).

> The Memory Usage tool is great --even if it does not show NAPTR
> records-- but it does not take DNSSEC into account, right?  That
> could be a useful addition to the tool?

True. Then again, it is an estimate tool;).

> If memory runs out, will NSD try to offload into swap, or is this
> left to the OS?

This is OS specific.

Best regards,
  Matthijs