[nsd-users] nsd-notify retries?

Paul Wouters paul at xelerance.com
Tue Nov 29 18:46:01 UTC 2011

On Tue, 29 Nov 2011, W.C.A. Wijngaards wrote:

>>> In NSD3, the daemon can perform notifies (with retries) for you, all in
>>> parallel.  This only happens when you have notify: configured for the
>>> zone(s) and the serial number is updated (i.e. you nsdc rebuild && nsdc
>>> reload, or it is a slave zone and the master is updated).
>>
>> But when adding a zone, you need a restart, not just rebuild & reload
>> What happens then?
>
> It should send notifies for the added zone(s).

How does it know what zones were "added"? I dont think that information
persists a daemon restart? And since adding a zone and rereading the conf
file requires a full restart for nsd3, I don't think it can "know" ?

>> the 50 at a time is fine when it is the daemon doing it, meaning the server
>> is up and running. The issue with nsd3 is that you have to run nsd-notify
>> before the daemon launches, meaning you are down while waiting.
>
> That would not be optimal.  If you run nsd-notify while the daemon has
> not launched yet, the slaves will immediately try to contact the master
> to download the zone, but it has not started and it not available.
> Instead, first start the daemon, then send notifies, so that the slaves
> can download the zone immediately.

when the daemon runs, nsd-notify cannot grab port 53 to send the notifies.

> NSD4 also has nsd-control force_transfer <zone> that you can run on the
> slave server and it forces a full AXFR, even if the SOA serial has not
> changed.
>
> NSD4 is under development, these features are implemented in svn trunk.
> If you decide to try it: note nsdc and zonec gone, config and database
> file format changes, nsd-control is useful.  It is backwards compatible
> with your old config file :-)

I'm not ready yet for nsd4, though if you really want me to try it, the
feature that turns me into a beta tester is ixfr_from_diffs :)

Paul