[nsd-users] Fwd:CNAME into a delegated zone goes wrong.... any ideas?

Florian Weimer fw at deneb.enyo.de
Tue Jun 14 19:25:26 UTC 2011

* W. C. A. Wijngaards:

> No, not in the additional section.  But you are right they should not be
> returned.  This is not obvious, the algorithm in 3.4.2 of RFC 1034 seems
> to be a bit hazy on it,

I think you mean section 4.3.2.

I looked at it, and I couldn't find a way how it could produce two NS
RRsets in the authority section.  But I interpret "If a match would
take us out of the authoritative data, we have a referral." narrowly,
that is, this happens only if the server is not authoritative for the
QNAME under consideration.  A zone cut is not sufficient in my book.