[nsd-users] warning: local hostname 'NOKEY' not found?

Darren Pilgrim list_nsd at bluerosetech.com
Wed Feb 23 11:39:52 UTC 2011

I upgraded my NSD master from 3.2.4 to 3.2.7.  When I restarted the
server and did a 'nsdc notify', I got a long stream of errors like this:

[1298460362] nsd-notify[98129]: warning: local hostname 'NOKEY' not
found: hostname nor servname provided, or not known

The only difference between each error was the timestamp and pid in
brackets.  I made no changes to nsd.conf across the upgrade.  My
nsd.conf has a few dozen zones configured all of which look like this
(except for the name/zonefile):

zone:
         name: "example.com"
         zonefile: "master/forward/example.com"
         notify: 192.0.2.2 NOKEY
         notify: 192.0.2.3 NOKEY
         notify: 192.0.2.4 NOKEY
         provide-xfr: 192.0.2.2 NOKEY
         provide-xfr: 192.0.2.3 NOKEY
         provide-xfr: 192.0.2.4 NOKEY
         outgoing-interface: 192.0.2.1
         notify-retry: 5

I tried reading the nsd-notify.c, but I can't figure out why nsd would
try to do a DNS lookup on "NOKEY" as a hostname.