[nsd-users] Memory usage during reload

Martin Švec martin.svec at zoner.cz
Sun Feb 14 17:52:12 UTC 2010

Hello,

I've noticed a strange memory usage peak during "nsdc reload". We have
65000 signed zones resulting in 250MB nsd.db file, NSD 3.2.4 runs on
64-bit Gentoo Linux 2.6.27 with 4GB RAM. In-memory footprint of the
namedb database is cca 500MB. Normally, nsd consumes about 1GB
of memory -- one half is used by xfrd daemon and the other half is
shared among main and children processes, according to /proc/pid/smaps.
During reload, I would expect that the maximal memory usage should not
exceed 1.5GB regardless of the number of children (500MB for xfrd, 500MB
for the old database shared by old processes, and 500MB for the reloaded
database shared by the new processes). But in practice, there is a very
short peak when memory usage goes far beyond 1.5GB. And even worse, the
usage peak depends on the number of children. For server-count=1,
maximal usage is around 2GB. With server-count=4, the usage goes over
3GB. Also note that the usage immediately drops back to 1GB when the
reload is done.

After short investigation, I've realized that it is probably caused by
memory deallocation during nsd process shutdown. Looking into the code,
every server_shutdown(nsd) is preceded by namedb_close(nsd->db) that
deallocates entire namedb database. I guess that the region_destroy code
causes thousands of shared memory pages to be duplicated to private ones
for every child process by the kernel copy-on-write mechanism. To prove
my idea, I removed namedb_close(nsd->db) lines occurring before
server_shutdown(nsd) calls. And voila... peak memory usage during reload
reached only the expected 1.5GB.

I know that memory cleanup before process termination is generally a
good coding practice, but in this particular case it should be omitted,
at least for non-debug builds.

Or do I miss something?

Best regards
Martin Svec