[nsd-users] reloading NSD zone configuration

Aaron Hopkins lists at die.net
Thu May 21 05:22:22 UTC 2009

On Thu, 21 May 2009, Greg A. Woods wrote:

> May I humbly suggest that if you are making promises you cannot possibly
> keep because of protocol design and real-world limitations then perhaps
> you should more urgently be attempting to change your customer's
> expectations

You are confusing the worst-case with the average case here.

Of course some things will fail some of the time, but if 99.9% of the time I
have no reachability problems between my servers, why can't I promise to get
their new zones set up and ready to go within a few seconds 99.9% of the
time?

And of course the DNS infrastructure is designed to handle outages of
individual servers and I'm willing to accept the 3 second stall on the
lookup if one of my servers or datacenters is actually down.  However, that
is a significantly more rare occurance than how frequently customers want to
add zones.

Why should one customer adding a zone cause lookups on all other zones for
all other customers to stall every time?  This is just unnecessarily
worsening the quality of service.  I could also add some code to NSD to
randomly discard 1% of queries, which DNS should handle somewhat gracefully
too, but I wouldn't be satisfied with that result either.

                                     -- Aaron