[nsd-users] patch for nsd using hardcoded name "nsd"

Tom Hendrikx tom at whyscream.net
Thu Jul 16 07:06:28 UTC 2009

Paul Wouters schreef:

> Hi,
>
> I am using two nsd instances to run two different nameservers on the
> same machine. Since both need to have proper initscript support, I
> have made a hardlink under a different name to /usr/sbin/nsd, and
> initscripts can use my new name "nsdhm", and do things like "pidof nsdhm".
>
> I got very confused when my i saw "nsd" started to fail, and it took
> me a while to figure out it was my nsdhm that had failed to start.
>
> Attached patch changes some of the log entries to use argv[0] instead
> of the string "nsd" for logging.
>
> Paul

Wouldn't it be much easier and cleaner to make both instances write to a
separate logfile, /var/log/nsd vs /var/log/nsdhm (or whatever you're
preferred name would be)?

There are many (linux) distributions that support multiple instances of
the same server (with multiple config files) out of the box in their
init scripts.

--
Tom