[nsd-users] on axfr fallback

Ondřej Surý ondrej at sury.org
Wed Nov 12 22:45:18 UTC 2008

> We would like to adapt the AXFR fallback, so that it will not do the
> fallback after a number of failed IXFR rounds. Instead, a master will be
> marked by the secondary if it returned a NOTIMPL or a FORMATERR. In that
> case, the next cycle round the masters, NSD will only fallback to AXFR
> if the nameserver was marked. In other words, NSD would never fallback
> to AXFR if all configured masters support IXFR.

I don't have time to do test, so I am going to ask.  What error code does
bind returns if you delete it's journal (and ixfr-from-differences is yes)?
Ie. if bind cannot provide IXFR, only AXFR?  Will nsd fallback to AXFR in
that case?  (I hope the answer is that it's the FORMATERR error code ;)).

Ondrej.
--
Ondřej Surý <ondrej at sury.org>