[nsd-users] Log file rotation

Matthijs Mekking matthijs at NLnetLabs.nl
Fri Nov 7 13:40:59 UTC 2008

Ok, I failed to spot that moving the current logfile in a rotated file
system was an external process. I now understand how the patch could
facilitate in rotating nsd.log.

However, there are some side effects:

1. When starting NSD, the logfile is opened before dropping the
privileges. This means that NSD might have the wrong permissions to
reopen the file on a reload. Currently if so, this leads to an assertion
failure.

2. When using chroot, the logfile is opened before chrooting. So, in the
example where you log to /var/log/nsd.log and chroot to /etc/nsd, the
logfile cannot be found when reopening. Logfile should be relative to
chroot.

3. The main and child processes has rotated the file, but the xfrd
process does not know about this yet.

- - Matthijs