[nsd-users] Update failed restarting transfer (notifed zone)

Shane Kerr shane at ca.afilias.info
Tue Jul 29 16:33:02 UTC 2008

Hello,

We occasionally see things like this in our logs:

[1216778417] nsd[1350]: error: xfrd: zone org: soa serial 2008258482 update failed restarting transfer (notified zone)

The error message comes from these lines in xfrd.c:

            if(zone->soa_disk_acquired < xfrd->reload_cmd_last_sent) {
                /* this zone should have been loaded, since its disk
                   soa time is before the time of the reload cmd. */

When this happens, no further IXFR occurs until the appropriate SOA
timer expires and then the zone is transferred. (I am not 100% sure, but
the system seems to fix itself after about this much time.)

So, I do not know:

1. Why the system gets in this state.
2. Why it cannot get out of the state.

I think a code fix is needed, but I don't really know exactly what. :)

--
Shane