[nsd-users] nsd does not fallback to axfr when ixfr doesn't work

Ralf Weber nsd-users at fl1ger.de
Thu Aug 28 06:05:24 UTC 2008

Moin!

On Aug 27, 2008, at 20:30 , W.C.A. Wijngaards wrote:
> Shane Kerr wrote:
>> When I look at RFC 1995 it says:
>>
>> "If the query type is not recognized by the server, an AXFR
>> (preceded by
>> a UDP SOA query) should be tried, ensuring backward compatibility."
>>
>> So this means that NSD should indeed try with AXFR when it gets an
>> error, as I understand it.
>
> Yes it does, you are right.  Interoperability goes both ways :-)
Hmm it doesn't or did I miss something - I read this as it will do it
in future.

Anyway I have gotten a reply from Nominum and they will fix this, but
also say that NSD should have retried with an AXFR. It should have
worked if NSD would have used TCP as transport, but I don't think
there is an option in the config file to tell NSD to only use TCP for
IXFR.

As a workaround I configure request-xfr with AXFR for my DNSSEC
enabled zones.

So long
-Ralf
---