[nsd-users] NSD not serving DNSKEY requests if the key is =>2048 bits

Teran McKinney sega01 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 15 18:17:43 UTC 2008

I guess this has turned into a drill or ldns issue.

I was using drill for the queries. Setting it to use TCP worked in all
cases, and setting the DNSSEC flag worked for 2048 bits but not 4096
bits. dig works fine over UDP with 2048 or 4096 bit requests. Sorry I
didn't notice this earlier.

8.4.e164.arpa has a 4096 bit DNSKEY and drill (1.3.0, under my setup)
will not return a reponse unless the DNSSEC flag or TCP flag is set.
Strange that setting DNSSEC works without TCP for this 4096 bit key,
but did not work on my own 4096 bit keys. dig works without any flags
to that zone.

Okay, as I was writing this email I tried setting the buffer size on
drill (default is 512 bits). Anything below 900~ bits does not work,
but if I set it to use 900+ bits it works fine for the arpa zone I
refered to. I have to set a 2048 bit buffer to get drill to give a
response with my VPN's TLD. I do not know how to set drill to not add
the extra formatting to the DNS packets written to file (so it should
be smaller), but mine was 4390 bytes for a DNSKEY request showing only
a 4096 bit KSK and ZSK. Setting +bufsize on dig had no affect; a size
of 512 bits still let it resolve the VPN's TLD fine without any
additional flags.

Thanks,
Teran (sega01)